Marking plate for pinblock fitting

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 09:31:20 -0700

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002 22:52:56 -0500 Ron Nossaman <RNossaman@cox.net> wrote:

> >I would be interested in what type of release
> agent/material folks use on
> >the plate flange when epoxy-fitting the block
> to the flange. You don't
> >want to have to undo cast iron epoxied to hard
> maple!
> >
> >Terry Farrell
>
> Paste wax, graphite slurry, McLube (which is a
> mold release agent in the
> first place), soap, latex paint, Crayon,
> candle, Saran wrap, or probably
> about anything else non-oily that you care to
> try. Then again, have you
> tried to intentionally bond maple to gray iron
> with epoxy to see if it will
> even stick well (or badly, depending) enough to
> be a problem?
>

> Ron N

I've been using paste wax with good results.  But, as you say, McLube is a
mold release agent.  I think I'll give it a try.  I'm about to do a pinblock.
I've never deliberately tried to bond a pinblock to a plate.  But I once had
to replace a pinblock in which someone's idea of fitting the block to the
plate was to smear the block, front and top, with epoxy and bond it to the
plate.  Not fun.

Phil F