atta boy! (Kawai RX question too)

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 16:22:58 +0000

Hi all,

Thought I'd share a nice "atta boy" I got last night.  I followed up a
church tuning earlier in the week by tuning the piano at the music
director's house yesterday.  He told me that after tuning at the church, he
got home real late because he couldn't stop playing the piano......  :)
Yes, I used the new 'mini' temperament I posted a while back.

Actually, after some posting back and forth with Paul Bailey, a discovery
was made that some temperaments can be "morphed" more successfully than
others; that is changing the strength by using the same multiplier on the
offsets.  This one works real well, so I've renamed it the Koval Variable.
So to describe what strength, just list the offset for C.  Thus, the mini
becomes KV1.5.

But on to the question.  The church has had some water problems.... seems
they built on top of a spring, and the underground HVAC stuff has been
filling with water.  Ooooooh, lots of humidity in the spring.  The Kawai 7'
has a dampp-chaser installed, which has helped with stability, but the
strings are getting some corrosion.  As can be imagined, the rendering of
the strings over the felt has changed..... for the worse.  What used to be a
dream to tune is now a real pain.  Restringing is probably in order once the
water problem is taken care of, but is there anything that can be done now
to make my job easier?

I've tried protek on some older Steinways, and it's helped some, anyone have
great results with something else?

Ron Koval