Bridge pin bit size -Phil Ford

Fri, 25 Oct 2002 23:40:41 -0700

Are you, perhaps, referring to the W. L Fuller Company at:
    http://www.wlfuller.com/

Del

=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@aol.com=20
  To: Erwinspiano@aol.com ; pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: October 25, 2002 9:54 PM
  Subject: Bridge pin bit size -Phil Ford

  In a message dated 10/25/2002 9:52:21 PM Pacific Daylight Time, =
Erwinspiano writes:

               Hi Phil

        The answer to what size drill bits for bridge pins is one size =
smaller than whatever piano tech provides. I like there bits when the =
maple is hard and  tight grain but not when the maple is wide and a bit =
softer. W.W. Fuller is a company that sells any type of specialty bit =
you wish and they have outlets in the Bay area although I've always =
dealt directly with the factory. By the way I am trying to avoid using =
6s as they want to bend over more easily and sevens will give a stiffer =
termination. One important thing about drilling is that every time the =
bit goes in it should not have in build up in the flutes as this will =
enlarge the size of the hole your trying to so carefully drill =
uniformly. I keep a piece of scrap spruc! e handy to run the bit trough =
in between holes.  This particular wood is amazing at cleaning out the =
flutes quickly. Also Spraying Mclube on the pins before pounding them in =
also helps prevent bending them over in a tight hole.
        Regards   Dale