Bridge pin bit size -Phil Ford

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sat, 26 Oct 2002 11:28:25 +0200

Dale,

Is not Mc Lube a possible cause for future problems, when the wood holes
eventually have enlarged ?

I'd use some seating product there (PDF) or even clear light epoxy, while I
am unsure how the epoxy really mix with the wood and how it is getting old
afterthat, the few repinning bridge jobs with epoxy the tone is very strong
(the stronger than the board can give my guess) and no false beat/weak
string  about 6 years ago now.

I used a very fluid product that is used to build boats, planes, and so on.
Not cheap , again and sold by too large quantities for my like.

Regards.

Isaac O Zoreil
  -----Message d'origine-----
  De : pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]De la
part de Erwinspiano@aol.com
  Envoye : samedi 26 octobre 2002 06:54
  A : Erwinspiano@aol.com; pianotech@ptg.org
  Objet : Bridge pin bit size -Phil Ford

  In a message dated 10/25/2002 9:52:21 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
Erwinspiano writes:

               Hi Phil

        The answer to what size drill bits for bridge pins is one size
smaller than whatever piano tech provides. I like there bits when the maple
is hard and  tight grain but not when the maple is wide and a bit softer.
W.W. Fuller is a company that sells any type of specialty bit you wish and
they have outlets in the Bay area although I've always dealt directly with
the factory. By the way I am trying to avoid using 6s as they want to bend
over more easily and sevens will give a stiffer termination. One important
thing about drilling is that every time the bit goes in it should not have
in build up in the flutes as this will enlarge the size of the hole your
trying to so carefully drill uniformly. I keep a piece of scrap spruc! e
handy to run the bit trough in between holes.  This particular wood is
amazing at cleaning out the flutes quickly. Also Spraying Mclube on the pins
before pounding them in also helps prevent bending them over in a tight
hole.
        Regards   Dale