Bridge pin bit size -Phil Ford

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sat, 26 Oct 2002 11:54:20 -0500

Hi Dale,
With the size bit Pianotech provides (#46), you'll find it hard enough to
drive a #7 pin into a laminated cap without bending it, much less going a
size smaller. The stuff's tough. I agree about #6 pins. I won't put #6s in
at all unless there's just not room for #7s and still get the strings in
between them. I've also come to the conclusion that 1" pins aren't doing a
thing more than 3/4" pins except needing a deeper hole and being more
difficult to drive without bending. Remember when 3/4" pins came with nice
hemispherical ends that you could actually start in a hole, instead or the
squared ends with barely broken edges that we buy now? Who supplies pointed
end 3/4" bridge pins, and why not?

And no, I'm not interested in driving the 1" ones 1/4" short and trimming
the excess. <G>

Also, epoxy or even thick CA makes a better driving lubricant than McLube,
and adds some extra support of it's own when it cures.

Ron N