Grand hammer replacement

Sun, 27 Oct 2002 09:59:18 +0100

Paul Tizzard wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> I am about to start my first Grand Hammer Replacement job. I would really appreciate any tips etc from those of you out there who have done this many times before. I haven't ordered a replacement set yet, so any info on measurements one needs to supply and who you would recommend ordering from would help settle a couple of nerves! Because its my first, I really don't want to " forget " anything.
> Thanks very much.
>
> Paul Tizzard
> South Africa

For your first job, I would recommend using a set that has generally the same weight charachteristics as your origionals, so that the actions touch is not much changed. You can learn more about all that later. Gluing them in place, without any instruction I suppose the every other hammer method is the safest, tho if someone wants to write down a really detailed description of the generally prefered
method then great. The important thing is to get the same strike line (assumes the origional one was good) and a very straight tail line, while at the same time making sure the hammers are not tilted sideways, or wrongly .angled side ways.

A good eyeball is going to be neccessary no matter what you do. Arthur Reblitz book should be in your library.

Cheers!

RicB

--
Richard Brekne