Grand hammer replacement

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sun, 27 Oct 2002 12:39:43 +0100

Paul,

There have been plenty of descriptions from time to time on the list.

As all the basics in repair and piano technology, this is surely not
the best place to learn, but many advices and different methods help
to clear the mind (if not the contrary).

I've find that some have even  written very detailed point by point
method.

Some like to use a gig, then the one each other method is not
applicable.
I have find it faster and cleaner not to use this method.

I am afraid the first try are often not very perfect. You should keep
in mind the weight ,but also the place here the head is hung. There is
a simple geometry that allows to be sure of them, measure from the pin
to the middle of the molding (the pencil mark along the middle of the
wood)
Measure the distance between strike point and the base of the drop
screw when the hammers are at rest (or at letoff height, anyway the
same position that when you will be gluing). Consider adding 1or 2 mm
for hammer wear and hang at the same place.

These measures gives you (with the height of the hammer), a precise
triangulation method. that allow the hanging to be precise.
In the last's) treble section it should be advisable to check for the
best strike point, as it will surely differ from the original one a
little.

Just go on and read the archives. Or just buy some videos, or just
find a factory tour, or train yourself with old parts before really
hanging, don't know what to say more.

Good Luck

Isaac OLEG