Methanol/how much water to add?

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Sun, 27 Oct 2002 10:14:40 -0800

Grain alcohol comes as 190 proof in some states. In others,
you have to buy a more dilute version. For treating centers
and (my more frequent use) voicing hammers, I aim at roughly
100 proof (50% alcohol), roughly the same as vodka. Vodka
itself works just fine. Small amounts on the strike points
give good voicing results. If you slather the stuff on, you
might break down the shoulder support and end up with a cotton
ball. For a second pass, I sometimes taper down in the treble
to one small drop per hammer. My first pass I treat the notes
which poke out the worst, with slightly more, but not by much.
A four-ounce squeeze bottle of "vodka" lasts me at least a
month, using some every couple of days. It slips easily into
my kit, inside a ziploc bag in case it leaks.

For a more gentle easing affect on center pins, use less
water in your dilution.

If you can't get the 190 proof, you can still use ethanol
for lots of things, but not for making really good shellac
from flakes.

Methanol would probably do a lot of these things, but why
carry something toxic, which also is absorbed by breathing
and through the skin? We're using this stuff indoors, after all.

Susan