Touchweight and Front Weights

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 09:34:24 -0500

I am working through some Stanwood-type touchweight stuff on a Baldwin M action that I am rebuilding. I have never understood the "magic" of the Front Weight Maximums. I have heard from a number of sources that you definately want/must use these FW maximums. Others say you can go a little lower if you wish.

It seems to me that the FW maximums are FWs for each note that have experientially been noted to be about the most FW you can have at that location on a keyboard and still have "good" performance. Therefore, greater than the FW maximums, you will most likely find yourself in trouble. Less than the FW maximums, and you can be OK as long as your action ratio and Strike Weights will compliment the reduced FW maximums.

Is that reasonable? Or am I missing something major?

Terry Farrell