Touchweight and Front Weights

Mon, 28 Oct 2002 06:56:13 -0800

You are correct.  They represent a ceiling, not a target.  I generally try
not to exceed 80 - 85%.

David Love

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: October 28, 2002 6:34 AM
Subject: Touchweight and Front Weights

I am working through some Stanwood-type touchweight stuff on a Baldwin M
action that I am rebuilding. I have never understood the "magic" of the
Front Weight Maximums. I have heard from a number of sources that you
definately want/must use these FW maximums. Others say you can go a little
lower if you wish.

It seems to me that the FW maximums are FWs for each note that have
experientially been noted to be about the most FW you can have at that
location on a keyboard and still have "good" performance. Therefore, greater
than the FW maximums, you will most likely find yourself in trouble. Less
than the FW maximums, and you can be OK as long as your action ratio and
Strike Weights will compliment the reduced FW maximums.

Is that reasonable? Or am I missing something major?

Terry Farrell