Moving Experience

Tue, 29 Oct 2002 04:31:16 -0600

'lo,

At 00:04 10/29/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi Alan,
>
>I tuned a Baldwin studio sized piano on Saturday at a church.  When I was
>done, the music minister came to check the piano out and rearranged the
>stage.  The piano was moved about 4 feet away from where it was when I
>tuned it.  When I rechecked the tuning, it was horrible!

David V is right.

Just take a 3x5 card and draw a big X on it.  Now imagine that the lines of
the X are piano strings on a vertical.  Now curl one corner toward you. You
can now probably imagine that a string running on the bias from that corner
to the opposite would be shorter (flatter) than before, while the other
direction strings (lying in the trough of the curl) would be virtually
unaffected.

David's knee was straightening out the card (i.e. strung back).

Grand piano do not suffer this fate since they are [usually] on only three
legs and, if you remember your solid geometry, three points in space
determine a plane. It doesn't matter how uneven the floor might be.  The
grand plate (and tuning) is unaffected.

Conrad Hoffsommer
What? Me Worry? - A.E.Newman