PRs climbing sharper

Tvak@aol.com Tvak@aol.com
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 09:11:03 EST

Here is something I've never seen mentioned in books or on the list but is a
consistent phenomenon to my experience.  When I return to a piano which had a
big pitch raise, I find that the piano is sharper than where I left it.  For
instance, yesterday, I returned to a piano that I raised 6 months ago from
100 cents flat to A438 and found it at A440.  You could explain that by
factoring in the summer humidity in this case, but I find this to be true no
matter what time of year.  Tune it in the fall, come back in the spring
before the windows open up and it's still sharper than where it was tuned to.
 This phenomenon is so consistent that I now tune really flat pianos to A438.
 Otherwise, I play tag with A440 and have to lower the pitch on my return
visit.

This only happens after big pitch raises, of 35 cents or more.  I use RCT to
pitch raise; whether it takes two passes or one, either way, my last pass is
on a piano that is very close to the target pitch level.

Comments?

Tom Sivak