Patent Notice

Tue, 29 Oct 2002 20:11:57 +0100

Jason Kanter wrote:

> First I thought this was a joke. Then I remembered that my own intellectual property attorney told me that under the new patent/copyright law, Newton could patent Gravity. Who'se got dibs on pi?
>
> Seriously, David, can you prevent people from using a formula? Sounds like an attempt at thought control to me.
> .

In an industry wrought with woes, and on the decline on nearly every front,  those few of us who actually take time to research and put together a methodology like Touchweight design, or a tool like
Cyber Ear, or a bridge modification like the Wapin deserve all the credit and respect we can give them.

The Balance formula is patented, and this will expire in some few years now. Until then we should all respect that patent, and if we choose to employ his formula to calculate FW's we should pay him
his due royalties. We should certainly not ridicule the man, nor accuse him unjustly of such utter nonsense as the above. In the meantime, the balance formula has plenty of other legitimate uses.

David Stanwood has in fact unselfishly offered the whole industry a wonderful gift... his entire research base, his metrology, and methodology. In fact the only part of his whole lifes work he has
expressly reserved for himself is the right to establish his own buisness based on the exclusive use of his formula to calculate Front Weights for the period of time a patent holds.

I mean really....

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.