PRs Climbing Sharper

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 10:22:59 -0800

Tom,
I suspect that you are "over pulling" a bit too far, in order to get the
string to settle. This is what I call "loading". Those of us that have been
tuning a  long time, have found that "loading" can be used to an advantage.
It is something we all do, but controlling it can sometimes be difficult. To
define loading: we pull the sting to pitch and then pull it sharp, to the
point that we have to "force" it back down to JUST land on pitch. To look at
it another way: Once the string is "loaded", if we flex the tuning pin with
the tuning hammer, first to test how sharp and then to test how flat the
string will go; the "flexing" will indicate that we have hardly any beats on
one direction, whereas we have very fast beats on the other direction. This
manifests itself, more so, in the extreme treble. Because of the lesser
amount of tuning hammer movement, to tune in the extreme treble, we will
come back to a "regular" tuning and find that our extreme treble has gone
way sharp, from where we know we left it. (ETD tuners are more aware of
this, I think)
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)