Nasty Virus on the loose

Andy Rudoff andy@rudoff.com
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 14:47:30 -0700 (MST)

>Norton just picked one up on my machine Titled Agraffe holder bmp. Came via
>pianotech.

How did you determine it came via pianotech?  I too got the virus post
with the "Agraffe holder" attachment that was really a virus program, but
it did not come through the pianotech list.  The pianotech archives do not
show such a post via the list.  But if you think virus posts are getting
to you through pianotech, please forward them to admin@ptg.org and we
can try to adjust our filters to catch them.  I'm not aware of any that
have come through in the past couple years, but of course it could happen
and you should use virus protection software to prevent it.

Remember that the virus programs sift through your files, looking for
things to use as subject lines, names of attachments, To: and From:
headers, etc.  So it may seem like someone who watches the list is
preparing these nasty-grams, but it is just a stupid program using
our own words to try to trick us into clicking on the attachment and
running the virus.

-andy