Nasty Virus on the loose

Tue, 29 Oct 2002 23:02:42 +0100

Didnt really come via pianotech... at least not in my case. Came from something
called "owner-pianotech-digest@toast.net"

Clever as it got me to look closer... jerks anyways..

RIcB

Andy Rudoff wrote:

> >Norton just picked one up on my machine Titled Agraffe holder bmp. Came via
> >pianotech.
>
> How did you determine it came via pianotech?  I too got the virus post
> with the "Agraffe holder" attachment that was really a virus program, but
> it did not come through the pianotech list.  The pianotech archives do not
> show such a post via the list.  But if you think virus posts are getting
> to you through pianotech, please forward them to admin@ptg.org and we
> can try to adjust our filters to catch them.  I'm not aware of any that
> have come through in the past couple years, but of course it could happen
> and you should use virus protection software to prevent it.
>
> Remember that the virus programs sift through your files, looking for
> things to use as subject lines, names of attachments, To: and From:
> headers, etc.  So it may seem like someone who watches the list is
> preparing these nasty-grams, but it is just a stupid program using
> our own words to try to trick us into clicking on the attachment and
> running the virus.

Yes... well... this one seems to have too much that hangs too well together for
this kind of thing... but perhaps thats all it is.