Glide bolts

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 16:55:39 EST

>Roger wrote:
 >> Key frame fitting with out the stack on, is a waste of time, since the
>> stack often distorts the frame. The stack to frame fit, can also be the
>> source of the bedding problem, particularly on soft wood frames.

Umm,  I dunno.  I find the most stable results from bedding the keyframe
without keys or stack on it, then placing the stack on there and making sure
that all the "feet" are sitting evenly on the cleats. This way, there is no
tendency of the metal stack to warp the wooden keyframe.  With everything
relaxed, I use shims under the stack's feet to fit it to the keyframe.
   If the stack doesn't sit evenly on all its feet and you go ahead and screw
it down, then bed the keyframe, it will leave a stress in the keyframe that
will cause it to move when the weather changes,(since the wood doesn't react
like the metal, particularly in the Steinways).  If you keep the action's
foundation relaxed from the bottom up, this problem is greatly reduced.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT