Methanol and wetter water

lbeach@sfu.ca lbeach@sfu.ca
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 17:53:48 PST

The rubbing alcohol from the drug store may not be isopropyl alcohol.  Some
rubbing alcohol is actually ethyl alcohol.  Check the bottle.  Also, as Joe
said, the stuff from the drug store may contain other oils/esters.  Again,
check the bottle.  In my experience, the alcohol from the drug store is far
more expensive than simply buying methanol (methyl alcohol) or ethanol
(ethyl alcohol) from the hardware store and diluting it to the desired
strength.  For piano stuff, there's no point in buying denatured alcohol
because we dilute it with water anyway.  Refinishers may need the denatured
stuff, I'm not sure.

In general I've found that methanol the best medium to get the water into
felt.  It also evaporates a little faster.  To each his own.

Larry Beach, RPT
Vancouver BC
Canada