Fw: Patent Notice

Wed, 30 Oct 2002 09:58:06 +0100

>                     I wonder as well. With all due respect
> to Dave S. these "Stanwwoodized" ideas are not exactly new
> or completely original and much similar material has been
> out there but the information has certainly been organized
> and formulated into a cohesive format by Mr Stanwood. I
> suspect if you simply refrain from usage of terms to close
> to the patent material all is well. But how far can Dave
> S. take the argument in reality. To court? Dunn no.
>       DAle Erwin

Dale, I enjoy so much of what I read from you, but this post
strikes me as very much not in the spirit of collegial
brotherhood and support our organization must rest on for it
too function. David has a fair claim. His formula, most of
his metrology and methods are without any precedent
whatsoever. I would just love to see someone try and show
the opposite.

Bill Garlick and Spurlock made public some documentation
about Touchweight and defined it as we know it today, but
these quantities led no one to anything but measuring up and
down weight, and identifying friction. Stanwood did far more
then simply formalize previously known material.

To imply that Davids work is simply a thrown together
artificial formalization of ideas known and used before is
simply wrong, and does not reflect any particular insight
into what Stanwood really is all about. Heck there are
"informed" people out there on Stanwoods case who dont even
see the difference between dead weight hammer measurements
and SW. This isn't because they are dumb... its because they
haven't really bothered to sit down and figure out what this
is about. And it seems to me such effort should be a
prerequisite before anyone ventures any "authoritative"
comments about it.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.