Touchweight History, was Patent Notice

Wed, 30 Oct 2002 21:35:41 +0100

Bill Ballard wrote:

> Thank you, David, for a very clear statement of the patent issues
> here. (No, I haven't taken the time, as you did, to actually read the
> document.)

I am not sure I understand this at all. It seemed quite clearly stated in
Stanwoods own post, and in my own. But to repeat, the only reservation David
Stanwood has is the use of the equation to calculate a smooth FW curve. This is
quite simple really, and I frankly fail to see what all the whoopla is about. Nor
how anyone could possibly attach some of the rather unsavoury attributes to his
person that have been tossed around by some.

I mean really, why the problem respecting a simple reservation protected by
patent law ? Especially in the light of what is offered for free, and especially
especially in the light that rather patents have limited lifetimes.

> Thank you David, for getting us started in exploring what of David's ideas may
> have
> already appeared in the collective thinking of piano technicians.
>
> Bill Ballard RPT
> NH Chapter, P.T.G.

Interesting enough.... :) I wonder sorely what the purpose of this exploration
might be ? Is someone going to do an historical treatise on the development of
the formalization of proceedures for Touchweight Design methodology and the new
Touchweight Metrology ? Personally, I would indeed find this a fascinating and
interesting story.

Cheers

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.

btw Bill,,, I had the opportunity to talk with Jörg Schindler who is chief
technician at Schimmel. He was very interested in Stanwoods FW measurements
because of that same picture... not because they actually thought to measure key
weight in this fashions... but because they had'nt. They took the darn picture...
and never made the connection to measure FW in this fashion. But in their
defence.... heck everyone was (and many if not most still do) think in terms of
simple DW.