Whippen Cleaning

Robin Hufford hufford1@airmail.net
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 23:52:56 -0800

Gordon,
     Thanks for your well detailed procedure.  I am not sure I want to
try something that could eat right through my shoe and get to me foot,
but, judging from the Chickering Whippens this procedure produces an
amazing result.
     Later in the fall, or perhaps in the winter, I will try it on a set
of whippens removed from a 1920 O that, although only slight worn, have
the worse case of verdigris and general dirtiness I have everseen.  The
piano has long since had the action replaced and been finished but I
kept the old whippens, hammershanks, flanges and hammers, for whatever
reason, probably an irrational one, but mainly because they were so
unworn.
     I did experiment, several years ago, with dipping the frozen,
verdigrised, flanges in the water thin stripper made by Strip-Eaze as a
test to see if they would free up.  The test items are still free, now
three or four years later, or they were the last time I looked, which
might have been about a year or so ago.
     Were the flanges on the spare Chickering whippens I got from you,
which are now in such good shape, tight and corroded?
     Thanks again,
     Regards, Robin Hufford