OT: Guitar tuning stability (was Re: PRs climbing sharper (OT)

kam544@gbronline.com kam544@gbronline.com
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 01:09:22 -0600

>...Wish I still had the cedar-top Yairi-Alvarez I used to own...

I currently own a CY140.

>The bridge insert has about a 2mm
>offset for the 3rd (G) string to make it that much longer in the speaking
>length. I understand string physics and music theory but I don't understand
>this since the fret spacing is the same for all strings. (?)

Ed Foote has explained this sometime in the past. Something to do
with balancing out the intervals for the 2nd string

>I don't know how much
>inharmonicity there is in nylon strings, but there must be some. So what
>have the luthiers done, here?

Can't address the luthiers, but have installed Thomastik-Infeld
Classical Guitar Fiber/Silverplated Copper Round Wound Medium Light,
.022 - .044 on this CY140. Noticeable difference in
clarity/intonation.
http://www.juststrings.com/toi-cc122.html

I actually did not enjoy this instrument with 2 other brands of
strings until I installed Thomastik-Infeld. They are made in Austria.

>I've only tried tuning to beats on this one guitar and find it very
>difficult, presumably because of inharmonicity and/or fret placement and/or
>the 3rd string bridge offset. I'll have to experiment with "piano tuning"
>other guitars.

Some guitars just won't come into focus to my sense of hearing. So I
avoid playing them if at all possible, or if I am put in a position
to do so, I just turn off part of my hearing.

>As to your list: 1) Don't know exactly what you mean by "stability of the
>instrument,"

There are some instruments that are just not stable. Any movement
alters the tuning to some degree. Same with pianos. Some are very
susceptible to movement.

>2) tuning pegs/gears are typical, high-end Japanese and seem
>solid,

I also have a 1975 DY95N Yairi Acoustic that didn't seem to hold a
tune very well after I had played it for years. Did numerous
alternate tunings on it. I replaced the Grovers tuning pegs with a
new set, and the tuning instability went away completely.

I minimally change the tuning on that guitar now to maintain its
stability. I am in the process of searching and buying a couple of
other guitars to keep each one of those dedicated for the alternate
tunings I touch base with from time to time.

>We've said this is OT but there ARE parallels to piano issues, here.
>Thanks,
>Alan Barnard

Granted, I feel a connection to some degree between the two fields.

Good luck finding a guitar that truly satisfies. Same for a piano.

Keith McGavern