SAT III FAC Calculation Assumptions?

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 19:30:32 -0600

Hi Dave,

The original intent was to take a generic tuning and "tilt" it to fit a
piano. With SAT 3 that tuning can now be "stretched" to fit as well.

At 08:43 PM 10/31/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Those who have gone before,
>
>Can you offer an explanation of what the SAT III FAC calculation is intended
>to accomplish in the bass and treble, assuming a well scaled piano, accurate
>FAC measurements, etc, etc.
>
>In other words, is it trying to hit exact 6:3 octaves all the way down into
>the bass and exact 2:1 octaves all the way up into the treble?
>
>I am working on my aural skills and don't quite understand what is happening
>when I compare to the SAT stretches.
>
>I have read the Jim Coleman articles in 1997 PTG and the archive of postings
>here, but still am not sure what the FAC calculation is assuming (or trying
>for).
>
>Hope this isnt too mundane a question for you veterans.
>
>Dave Smith
>Pine Island FL

Regards,
Don Rose, B.Mus., A.M.U.S., A.MUS., R.M.T., R.P.T. Tuner for the Center of
the Arts

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca

http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/

3004 Grant Rd.