Currier

Fri, 06 Sep 2002 20:44:35 +0200

Tony Caught wrote:

> Hi Currier lot,
>
> The concept is there, the same as the concept of the piano built in Ireland
> (name ?) is there. That one had square steel tube frame (for most part), and
> a pinblock made from that insulating stuff. It was light in weight, stayed
> in tune well and was also a lousy piano for other reasons.

That puts it in good company, with Rippen right behind.

> But parts of it worked as well or better that the norm. The same as the
> concept of the Currier. What Del has said is right, by using these different
> methods for construction one can build a piano for experimental and limited
> production at a cost that is affordable.

Well of course you can build a cheap affordable piano using new technology that
has at least a few parts that work pretty decently. But if the whole of the
....er... instrument is on the par of our Irish aquantaince what good is the
darned thing.... except as an example of what not to do. How many people got
talked into buying those things only to see them disintegrate right before their
eyes ?

> It is the concept of using modern technoligy to improve the quality, sound
> and performance of the modern piano that we should be working for. The piano
> manufacturers of today in most part are only interested in increasing
> efficiency, reducing costs and putting out a product that in maybe just a
> little better at the same price or better marketing at a cheaper price. But
> always, its price.

Now this makes a lot of sense. Instead of trying to make stamp out cheapos in
some new fangled way, why not actually improve on the absolute best of
instruments ? The cheapo market is doomed anyways. Its only a matter of time
before Cassio and Currier meet and no one can tell the difference anymore. And
when that happens... Well,, Cassio tucks under your arm, comes complete with 500
instruments and potentially every conceivable tuning arrangement and all the
rest...

> So OK, the tuning plack started of as a plank of quarter sawn birch, then
> rock maple, then a three ply thick back, then a five ply them the
> multilaminate plank of  the modern piano. This is about the only item that I
> can think of that has actually improved a pianos quality. The rest of the
> labour saving devices or methodes that have been introduced over the last
> century have in my opinion, detracted from the quality of sound and
> performance that is available in all but a very few pianos now available to
> the general public.

Aggreed.

--
Richard Brekne