Post Responses/Killer Octave

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 07:35:41 -0400

A few comments are interspersed below:

Terry Farrell
 =20
----- Original Message -----=20
From: "Robin Hufford" <hufford1@airmail.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 6:27 AM
Subject: Re: Post Responses/Killer Octave

> Hello David,
>      You do an admirable job in organizing and following the =
soundboard
> related theme as it has proceeded over time.  My responses along these
> lines were not a function of temper then,  nor or they now, although, =
at
> times I did experience real frustration at the dogmatic shouting and,
> apparent, unwillingess or incapacity of the pressurists to rationally
> advocate the very views they claim to be supersedent of all others - =
in
> general there was little in the way of argument and much in the way of
> mere assertion - a kind of dogmatic claim that it is this way because =
It
> Is.   This may have been a matter of temper for others, as it =
frequently
> appears to be when anything approaching soundboard behavior is
> encountered on this list - witness the recent prosecutorial,
> antagonistic, responses of one of them to John Hartman's post =
regarding
> crowning of the underside of bridges.
>      Actually, my own view here, which I must insist on the right to
> have free of the kind of emotional badgering seen on this list on the
> subject of soundboards and, - I would urge all on this list to make
> similar insistance for the validity of their own experience, - is that
> the argument by Ron N that it is, basically not worth the effort is
> likely the case.  But this agreement is a matter of insignificance -
> nevertheless, whether I, or any other, no matter how informed they may
> be, or at least consider themselves to be, agree or disagree with any
> proposition or observation put forth here, which should be for
> discussion,  one should restrain the emotional instrusion which the
> antagonistic responses larded with sarcasm, represents and which are
> very common here on this particular subject.

I would have to agree with this, as this is a public forum - although I =
would have to say that I don't feel as strongly about it as you - but =
that's OK. I just love the back and forth of ideas. I think sometimes a =
little aggression can pull out an idea that might not otherwise be =
expressed. But yes, in a public forum I do think a measure of civility =
is appropriate.

> [...]
> exaggerated  emotional attachment to particular points of view on just
> this subject by some and demonstrates what should be avoided.  I am =
sure
> censure should come equally my way also as may regard other postings.

>      Sure, we can all secretly believe we have reinvented the wheel =
with
> "modern" methods and publicly claim so with loud protestations of
> originality and superiority, but the end product is still  likely to =
be
> essentially circular, after all and most other wheels are going to
> demonstrate a substantial similarity.   I must say, that all efforts =
> the contrary, when I see a wheel I am compelled for some strange set =
of
> reasons to call it a wheel and when I am informed of a "new, modern"
> wheel -  well - it still looks like a wheel to me.  Similarly, I think
> such is likely the case regarding soundboards using traditional =
methods
> of construction, that is a bridge, ribs and solid flitches to lay up =
the
> panel,  and,  particularly, those that are only claimed to be superior
> but are not presented for actual evaluation.    If one has a better
> mousetrap one should take it to the market, there to be rewarded not =
by
> the feeble aplause of sycophancy but by the much more pleasant
> experience of commercial success.
>       The measure of success in such a case will be the persistence =
and
> profitablity of the product in the market not merely sarcastic,
> derogatory commentary on the deficiencies of  other, similar, =
products,
> although, as we all know, this may facilitate sales to those who will
> only later become aware of technical considerations.
>       No piano or other product,  is, or has ever been perfect in =
either
> design or execution and I am sure the traditional system is greatly
> susceptible of improvement in every detail.  Like it or not, the level
> of quality in an instrument is determined, ultimately,  by =
marketability
> and not technical considerations or the manifold possibilites for
> improvement.  The survival  in this country and elsewhere of certain
> companies through the long decline of the industry brought on
> fundamentally  by changes in the market itself,  indicates  the =
delivery
> of a successful product, however flawed, to the market,  and chronic
> bellyaching about the "design deficiencies" , "legacy shortcomings",
> other maladies, real or not, and the loud representation of "new,
> modern, superior" fixes represents only emotional baggage or
> self-serving promotion when taken past a certain point.   This point =
has
> long since been past here, in my opinion.

I believe there is a valid point to consider here. It sounds to me as =
though you consider success in the market as having a major piano =
company use a particular idea. "...the level of quality in an instrument =
is determined, ultimately,  by marketability and not technical =
considerations..." Consider that there are two ways to view a piano - =
utilitarian or performance (or maybe commercial or custom).=20

A good analogy can be made with automobiles here. Most people view the =
piano from a utilitarian standpoint. Believe me, I realize it is a =
continuum among a beginning student and an accomplished professional =
concert pianist. Just as most people view cars as utilitarian (perhaps a =
expression to be used here is a car for the masses, or one that has =
commercial appeal). Mass-produced cars are available that range from =
Yugos to Cadillacs to Corvettes - all within the utilitarian class. If a =
driver wants a really high performance auto, where do they go? TO THE =
SMALL CUSTOM SHOP. There, they can get what they want. They will get =
something that greatly exceeds the performance of the commercially =
available autos. The commercial car builder MUST compromise to produce =
what the masses desire - not what the few high performance oriented =
discriminating buyers want. That is the role of the small custom shop.

Same thing with pianos. No one will ever convince me that any commercial =
piano manufacturer has one goal - to make the best possible piano. =
Especially a publicly owned company. Get real! The focus of these =
companies is to make the largest profit. Period. Now they may decide =
that the way to biggest profit is to try and make a very good piano - =
but plenty of compromises will also be made. Here again is where the =
small shop can provide a level of product unavailable from the =
commercial builder. Unfortunately the analogy between cars and pianos =
falls apart here. The car can be timed in the quarter mile to determine =
which is faster. One can count the number of races it wins on road =
tracks. Not so easy with the piano - very much a matter or personal =
opinion. But one can use some of your marketability criteria here - if =
the small shop has a backlog of work, maybe they have something there. I =
think the car/piano analogy also is strained by the fact that most =
performance-oriented car drivers also have a pretty good knowledge of =
the mechanics of their cars (they have a good idea of the technical =
reasons of why a particular car is fast) - not nearly as true for =
pianists.

Just a point I think is worthy of consideration. Just because a =
commercial piano manufacturer does not pick up a particular design, =
idea, or innovation, does not mean it is without merit - it just means =
it may not be for the masses.

>      I don't wish to be put in the position of defending the prominent
> maker so much maligned here as there is much worthy of relentless
> criticism some of which I have pointed out before,  as those who have
> read my previous post on this subject may remember, but, nevertheless,
> the success of their method is demonstrated in their survival and wide
> spread use of new product, and enduring utility of old product,
> something that is,  given some of their deficiencies of assembly, =
almost
> a source of astonishment for me, at least for present production.  =
But,
> it is as it is.

See the green blob of words above.