Stringing question , another angle

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Sat, 2 Aug 2003 11:42:14 EDT

Phil F writes

> >I'm curious as to whether anyone has tried winding the coil on A0 with the
>
> >pin in the block.

Ron N replies

> It won't hurt the agraffe, but it's difficult to determine final height at
> tension unless you start with the pin so high it makes it more difficult to
> wind the coil. I always did better cutting the string to length, then
> taking the loop off of the hitch to get enough slack up front to wind the
> coil with my crank, putting the loop back on the hitch, and driving in the
> pin. It doesn't qualify as fun any way I've ever done it, but some ways are
> less painful than others.

Phil,

I'm with Ron. I've strung hundreds of pianos, and have yet to find one on
which this didn't work. You can measure, as he said, then remove the string from
the hitch. I usually put two coils ( or a short two) on the big strings.
Especially on the ones with a fairly sharp angle from the agraffe to the pin, I
like to drive the pin BEFORE putting the tail back on the hitch, to avoid an
unnecessary kink. If you are doing any twisting, do it as you  slip the tail over
the hitch (Except for the heavies, I usually do any twisting at the tuning pin
just before I drive).

Bob Davis
Stockton, CA