Accoustic Foamn and Dampp-Chasers

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Thu, 07 Aug 2003 08:58:42

Hi David,

I once had the experience of working on a Yamaha C7 for a concert that just
didn't "cut the mustard". I finally got underneath it and sure enough the
movers had wedged some thin rubber strips between the beams and the
soundboard. The strips appeared to have been cut from tire inner
tubes--perhaps one could simply use an old inner tube for a bike? It might
be worth consideration if you are planning on reducing sound and using a DC
system.

You don't mention if this is an "apartment" situation. If it is a lot of
sound energy will be going down the legs into the floor. Isolate them by
using a "sandwich" made from tempered auto glass, four "dots" of carpet to
provide an "air break" and another layer of glass. I discovered this in my
home when I was trying to isolate two studios on the same floor. The piano
(a C7 again as it happens) could not be heard thru the walls which were
specially built--but the floor joists carried enough energy that the piano
could be heard. The "sandwich" describe above dropped the amount of sound
down to the point where one *really* had to be totally quiet to hear the
piano. It's important to use tempered auto glass as it is really three
layers glass/plastic/glass. As the sound waves get refracted and attenuated
by to some extent. It was commonly in use in sound studios at the time for
windows. This was about 1976 so the state of the art may have changed quite
dramatically since then.