advice today please!

Tvak@aol.com Tvak@aol.com
Thu, 7 Aug 2003 16:07:38 EDT

List

Tomorrow I go into the den of iniquity, i.e., Biasco Piano, to examine a
piano on a client's behalf.   It is a pre-owned U1, serial #725700.   Biasco is
expecting me to come tomorrow to check it out and have agreed to let me see it.
 Now, he has already put money down on this piano so I'm not sure if the deal
can be nixed at this point, no matter what I find, but what general advice
would you have for someone in this situation?   I've never been called on before
to examine a piano at any dealer before, let alone at Biasco.   I'm not
looking for advice on what aspects of the piano to check; I can in all modesty say
that I am fully qualified to examine this piano for its integrity, quality
and/or any potential problems.

It's the ethical/business aspects that I ask advice on.   For starters, I
plan on saying nothing to the folks at Biasco about what I find.   The client is
paying me for advice and I will give it to him directly.   But if I find
something that is truly wrong (and being Biasco...this could be possible) can I be
held liable in some way if the client decides to back out of the deal?

I've already warned him of gray market Yamahas, but he's not particularly
concerned.   He already owns another Yamaha and thought he could provide the
serial number to that piano if any parts were needed for this piano.   I had to
admit that most of the parts would probably be interchangeable.   Not an ethical
way to deal with a problem, but since the problem at this point doesn't
exist, I chose not to address it.

So, any advice will be appreciated.   I don't want to get myself into any
trouble over this.   I really don't expect to find anything radically wrong with
this piano.   I think it's just going to be another one hour service call, but
I'm sure many of you have been here before and will have some great advice.

If I can avoid stepping in it, I'd gladly walk around it!

Tom Sivak