visit to Biasco

Tvak@aol.com Tvak@aol.com
Fri, 8 Aug 2003 19:06:27 EDT

List

Thanks to all for the advice...   To briefly recap, I was hired to examine a
Yamaha U1 which my client purchased from Biasco Piano.   He wanted me to
inspect it before he took delivery.   I arrived and was shown to the piano, which
had a different serial number than the one sold to my client. (!) So I inquired
if there was a mistake, but I was told that this was indeed my client's
piano.   When I pointed out to them that it had a different serial number, they
told me that they never sell the pianos off the floor.   They take a piano from
the warehouse to deliver to the client.

Imagine a car dealer doing that?

Unanswered questions:   If they don't sell the pianos off the floor, where
did the piano my client bought go?   And if they don't sell the pianos off the
floor, then are they intending to deliver yet a different piano to my client?
Am I inpsecting a random U1?

Interesting sales ploy:   Yamaha U1 advertised for $1695 in the newspaper.
Sign on piano: "To qualify for this price, you must purchase bench."   Cost of
bench: $325. (no frills standard bench)   My client tells me he also paid
$175 documentation fee.   So you can add $500 to that advertised price.   ($2195
for a U1, still not a bad price.)

Tom Sivak