Ivoritis Elsewhere?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 18 Aug 2003 07:42:10 -0400

I just hit 'em on the buffing wheel. Just the buffer will take out pretty deep scratches - although with a deep scratch, you may well be better off to sand a bit first just to keep the key flat. I think I usually use the red rouge compound.

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cy Shuster" <charter1400@charter.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 17, 2003 5:09 PM
Subject: Re: Ivoritis Elsewhere?

MessageWhat kind of "typical abrasives" do you use on plastic keys?

I've cleaned some errant spots of stain from my naturals using 0000 steel wool, and I'm now experimenting with various abrasives to remove the scratches I caused.  I've been successful using a sanding block with 1500 grit emery cloth, followed by a buffing wheel with Dico's E5 emery compound for ferrous metals, and then buffing with "Zam" to put the gloss back.

I'm being careful not to cause more problems then I'm solving (having learned from the steel wool!), but none of these abrasives cut as much as I would have expected on plastic.  I only have to do about ten keys, thank goodness...

I'd be happy to hear what others have used.

--Cy Shuster--
Rochester, MN