Ivoritis Elsewhere?

Cy Shuster charter1400@charter.net
Sun, 17 Aug 2003 16:09:54 -0500

MessageWhat kind of "typical abrasives" do you use on plastic keys?

I've cleaned some errant spots of stain from my naturals using 0000 =
steel wool, and I'm now experimenting with various abrasives to remove =
the scratches I caused.  I've been successful using a sanding block with =
1500 grit emery cloth, followed by a buffing wheel with Dico's E5 emery =
compound for ferrous metals, and then buffing with "Zam" to put the =
gloss back.

I'm being careful not to cause more problems then I'm solving (having =
learned from the steel wool!), but none of these abrasives cut as much =
as I would have expected on plastic.  I only have to do about ten keys, =
thank goodness...

I'd be happy to hear what others have used.

--Cy Shuster--
Rochester, MN

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Jeannie Grassi=20
  To: 'Z! Reinhardt' ; 'Pianotech'=20
  Sent: Monday, August 11, 2003 11:06 AM
  Subject: RE: Ivoritis Elsewhere?

  Hi Zen,
  I encountered a Kawai with graying, discolored white keys.  It turned =
out that the stain on the sharps was coming off on the fingers and then =
getting spread to the white keys.  I replaced the black keys and I was =
able to buff the white keys so that they looked as good as new.  =
However, that involved the typical abrasives used with a buffing wheel.

  Hope this helps,
  jeannie
  Jeannie Grassi, RPT
  Associate Editor, Piano Technicians Journal
  mailto:jgrassi@silverlink.net=20