Ivoritis Elsewhere?

Jeannie Grassi jgrassi@silverlink.net
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 09:06:38 -0700

Hi Zen,
I encountered a Kawai with graying, discolored white keys.  It turned
out that the stain on the sharps was coming off on the fingers and then
getting spread to the white keys.  I replaced the black keys and I was
able to buff the white keys so that they looked as good as new.
However, that involved the typical abrasives used with a buffing wheel.

Hope this helps,
jeannie

Jeannie Grassi, RPT
Associate Editor, Piano Technicians Journal
mailto:jgrassi@silverlink.net

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Z! Reinhardt
Sent: Friday, August 08, 2003 3:30 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Ivoritis Elsewhere?

Friends:

Has anyone else come to a case of ivoritis on a non-Yamaha piano?
Classic signs -- white keys turning greyish, but it doesn't feel sticky
the way most grunges would.  Non-abrasives will not remove the stuff.
The piano in question is a Boston 218 (pretty big).

Any brilliant ideas?

Thanks in advance --
Z! Reinhardt  RPT
Ann Arbor  MI