Soundboard crown

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Tue, 12 Aug 2003 02:09:46 -0400

Hi Del et al.,

Fascinating discussion!

In addition to stiffness arguments, I wonder about the impact of a crown on
the vibrational mode of the board.  If a domed panel is deflected at one
point nearer to one edge, the opposite end of the board would deflect in the
opposite direction, with a nodal point in the middle -- more or less.
Correct???  Now consider the same board, flattened:  A deflection nearer to
one edge would result in a deflection in the same direction over the
remainder of the board, to greater or lesser degrees.  Thus, at a frequency
of zero, the board would "vibrate"/flex in a bimodal pattern (correct term?)
with a crown and in a unimodal pattern with no crown.   I'm not saying that
the board would be incapable of other vibrational modes at other
frequencies, which of course it would.  I'm merely suggesting that the
vibrational properties of the board would certainly *change* from this
factor alone.  Perhaps a crowned soundboard would be predisposed to enter
into higher vibrational modes, responding better to higher frequencies???
(Just guessing.)

The spector of manmade materials has also been raised, another subject I
find fascinating.  I particularly enjoyed hearing an audio file of a piano
with a steel soundboard in the five/six/seven (can't remember) lecture
series.  The piano had a beautiful, full, rich bass, well defined tenor, and
a bizarre, pingy, ringy, un-piano-like treble.  I was left wondering whether
the soundboard was too efficient at higher frequencies, not
absorbing/damping vibrational energy as badly as wood -- or whether the
soundboard had other sorts of mechanical differences.  What exactly were the
*functional* differences between this board and a wooden one?

Has anyone ever played around with carbon fiber?  That might behave a bit
more like wood, yet without the problems associated with varying MC.

Peace,
Sarah

PS My initial, noninvasive, cursory experiments with mass loading of the
killer octave region seem to alter the spectral properties of the sound --
*somewhat* longer sustain, but kinda pingy.  Interesting.  I think the
"pingy" nature of the sound comes from a frequency dependence of energy
transfer from the string to the bridge, hence different decay rates for
different partials.  I'm also finding, I believe, that a very large part of
the responsiveness in this region is attributable to the properties of the
*entire* soundboard, not just the top end.  After a short initial period,
vibrations from the string are dissipated, exciting harmonic frequencies in
other strings throughout the piano -- perhaps especially in the backscale?
If I try to damp vibrations in the high treble strings with my finger, I can
only do it within a short timeframe after the attack (progressively shorter
for higher notes).  Thereafter, there is still sustain, but it cannot be
damped, because the vibrations have been excited throughout the piano, while
the vibrations of the note's three strings have all but dissipated.  I think
this "whole board response" keeps the mass loading of the upper end from
having any more of an effect on the overall sustain of a high treble note.