Soundboard crown

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 07:47:44 +1000

>At 10:07 PM +0300 11/8/03, Calin Tantareanu wrote:
>. . . By the way, how do laminated soundboards behave when exposed
>to humidity?
>Do they expand less than solid wood ones?

If you dry a quarter cut solid panel down to around 6% it will shrink
about 3 mm in 900 (this will depend on the closeness of the growth
rings, tighter grain shrinks less and vice versa). If you repeat the
procedure with a laminated panel (with all laminates properly quarter
cut and carefully joined as they should be also for a solid panel)
you will have trouble measuring any shrinkage.

So for CC brigade, laminated panels cannot be used. Mind you, there
is still a small shrinkage with the laminated panels, since we are
finding that our 7.5 mm thick laminated tests panels are pushing the
crown up about 0.5 to 1.0 mm once they are normalised after gluing. I
don't really want any rise from panel compression but I feel the need
to dry the panel just a bit, to provide a small insurance for
extremely dry conditions.

I have been doing sound board deflection tests for the past two weeks
straight. Amongst my findings, I have found that the typical modern
sound board is so grossly overloaded in the killer octave region that
there is little hope of such under-engineered sound boards ever
giving a respectable service before the dreaded 'set' sets in.

Try your own quick test with a sample to see what I mean. Our rib no.
11 on our 225 piano supports notes C52 to F#57, and has an active
length of 580 mm. With just 1% of down bearing (which is quite
moderate by current standards) this rib and panel strip will be
subjected to a down force of 24.4 Kg. Build yourself a test rib of
the contemporary-full-dimensioned sized of 25 X 25 mm (Steinway D mid
board ribs), glue it to a 120 mm wide test panel and load it up on
the bench with a 24 Kg test weight. You'll quickly realise why the
typical piano's killer octave is well and truly dead before it
arrives at the showroom. When you consider that most makers are using
ribs smaller than 25 X 25 in the killer area, these will be subjected
to even greater stresses. As an aside, I had occasion to take a look
under a late Stuart concert piano a few weeks. The observed 20 X 21
mm rib dimensions would seem, in the light of this discussion, to be
an unusual approach.

Yes, I am working on a solution to this engineering disaster for the
very next sound board.

Best to all,
Ron O.
--