Redesigning Grotrian 140

ANRPiano@aol.com ANRPiano@aol.com
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 11:07:06 EDT

All you redesigning types, have I got a deal for you!

Check this little baby out.  140 cm, for those metrically challenged like
myself, that comes to 4 ' 7".  The first 6 strings on the bass bridge are all 36
3/8" long and the first is almost .500" in diameter.  The back scale is
virtually nil for most of the bass bridge but especially the first dozen strings,
the tie comes to within 1/2" of the bridge.  There is also significant bass
bridge cantilever.  The bass string fan covers almost the entire tenor section.
There are 6 wound bi-chords on the tenor bridge the end of which is also
cantilevered.  The piano has all of the tonal characteristics and problems one would
expect from such a design.

The piano is receiving a new board, pinblock, and finish.  The action work is
being done by someone else.

Now some of my thoughts:

There is some room for the bass bridge to move closer to the front of the
piano, about 3/4".  The bridge cap is fairly wide.  I was wondering about the
following cures:  1) have bass strings made with a shorter/tighter tie 2) narrow
the bridge cap about 1/8", 3) float the sound board behind the bass bridge.
My goals here would be to free up the bass bridge and soundboard as much as
possible from the ultra short back scale.  I would also hope to be able to
eliminate the cantilever on the bass bridge.  I worry though about how close the
bridge is to the edge of the soundboard, but floating the board could help here.

Regarding the tenor bridge I was thinking about using a separate bridge for
the wound strings and would appreciate any thoughts about impedance issues I
may face with the new tenor bridge moved forward of the treble string bridge.

Obviously the stringing scale will have to be redone as well.

Overall this is a very well built piano as one would expect from this maker.
It is just so tiny that it has a lot of performance compromises.

Thanks,

Andrew Remillard
ANRPiano.com
ANR Piano Service