overcentering justified?

Bob Hull hullfam5@yahoo.com
Fri, 15 Aug 2003 22:26:07 -0700 (PDT)

A440A@aol.com wrote:

>Level with what? It is often the case that the strings are not level, so
>if you want the hammer to be at 90 degrees to the string AND shank, you will
>need to measure the hammer against the string. Steinways often have a rise
>from capo to bridge. If the hammer is at 90 degrees to the shank, the
>"overcentering" you found on the original might have allowed the hammer to >meet the
>string at 90 degrees,also.

It's true that the strings on this piano do rise towards the bridge. When I go back to the piano I will compare the rising angle of the string to the "overcentering hammer".

>Repetition speed is usually more dependant on checking distance than
>anything else. How far away from the string are these new hammers >checking?

I set the checking distance of the new long bored distance hammer at the same  height as the old  hammer and the new did not repeat anything like the old.

During very fast repetition, does the hammer tail come into contact with the backcheck even if the checking distance is set as high as possible (but not so high that it drags on the way up), or isn' t the knuckle bouncing off of the top of the jack?

Bob Hull