"Put a plug in it"

cswearingen@daigger.com cswearingen@daigger.com
Mon, 18 Aug 2003 10:57:05 -0500

Hi Don,

Unless I'm misunderstanding your description below, your technique of using
soft blows requires 2 tunings (a prep tuning and one about a week later).
It seems to me that a simple pitch raise immediately followed by a fine
tuning with strong rendering blows would take care of the situation and
only require one visit.

I virtually always do a quick first pass over the entire piano unless the
instrument is already within 3 or 4 cents (a rare occasion).  However,
after a quick pitch raise, many of the strings are still not rendered
completely so it seems imperative to me to make sure I use strong blows
during the fine tune.  Maybe I'm wrong in thinking this way.

Thanks for sharing your method.

Corte

                      Don
                      <pianotuna@access        To:       Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
                      comm.ca>                 cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  re:  "Put a plug in it"
                      pianotech-bounces
                      @ptg.org

                      08/18/2003 04:18
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      Pianotech

Hi Corte,

The first step is getting the piano close to being in tune before you tune
it. Second step is "setting" coils, then retune about 10 cents sharp of
A440. Third step tap at the hitch pin, before and after rear duplex, before
bridge pin, on bridge pin, in front of bridge pin, middle of the string
length on the bridge, behind sounding length bridge pin, on sounding length
bridge pin, sounding length, and lift strings on tuning pin side of
aggraff. Now you are ready to pitch correct. Do so--and shedule a tuning
for one week later. Impact technique works very well with soft blows for
me, after this preparation is done.

At 07:37 AM 8/18/2003 -0500, you wrote:

>Hello List,
>
>I'm just wondering - what is the technique of tuning softly?  How does one
>render the string properly without "forte" test blows?
>
>I learned to tune with an impact hammer and I would think that because the
>impact hammer moves the entire pin at once (with very little twist), a
>technique of tuning with softer test blows would be possible.  However, I
>still use strong test blows even with an impact technique (f to ff blows).
>I would think that with a traditional hammer, it would be almost
impossible
>to set pin and render the string through soft or medium blows.
>
>I've heard stories that Franz Mohr used extremely hard test blows when
>tuning.  Of course, I've also heard that his tunings were rock-solid
>stable.  There seems to be a correlation here.
>
>Any further comments?
>
>Corte Swearingen
>Chicago
>

>                      Don

>                      <pianotuna@access        To:       Pianotech
<pianotech@ptg.org>
>                      comm.ca>                 cc:

>                      Sent by:                 Subject:  re:  "Put a plug
in it"
>                      pianotech-bounces

>                      @ptg.org

>                      08/16/2003 01:04

>                      PM

>                      Please respond to

>                      Pianotech

>Hi Dave,
>
>The foam ear plugs if used constantly may cause some people to tumble over
>into hypercussivity. Trust me, you don't want to go there!
>
>Learn to tune softly. It can be done.
>
>At 03:55 PM 8/16/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>>    I use the plain ol' foam earplugs -- the ones you squeeze and roll
>into a smaller diameter.  I bought a whole case several years ago (200
>pairs) for $20, and still have plenty left.  Their attenuation rating is
>29dB, which is more than most other earplugs I've seen.  I'm not sure
about
>the custom "musician's earplugs" that one has made by an audiologist,
>however.  But I think their attenuation is about the same.
>
>Regards,
>Don Rose, B.Mus., A.M.U.S., A.MUS., R.P.T.
>
>mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
>http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/
>
>3004 Grant Rd.
>REGINA, SK