Soundboard crown

Tue, 19 Aug 2003 09:53:32 +0200

Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

> > I am progressing through it yes.... tho I dont see any chapter on "how to
> build the best soundboard" :)
> >
> > I would be interested to hear his << soundboard specific >> thoughts on
> all this. Why dont you put some of all this too him ?
>
> Actually, I did. He was rather horrified at the concept of the
> compression-crowned soundboard technique. Once he understood it.
>
> As has been, I might add, every other wood technologist I've consulted with
> over the years.
>
> Del

Grin... I've said it many times... you make a very convincing case for RC
boards and against CC boards. Too convincing if you get my meaning. In the end
it all adds up so very very well CC boards are rather obviously insanity....
yet they still get produced and we never hear from their side. Unsettling, and
continues to become more unsettling as I slowly assimilate more and more of
this side of piano works.

Let me ask you something if I may.... would you say that the so called <<
Steinway sound >> could be exactly preserved if they made the move to RC boards
?

RicB

--
Richard Brekne