"grinnell bros." piano

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 11:28:20 -0700

I've tuned older Grinnell Brothers big uprights. Decent. From the midwest?

You'd better get used to the idea that you will eventually need to replace
every bit of plastic in that action. Wood versions are available which will
almost certainly fit. Those plastic parts were very standard in size.

The full dampers are the hardest, because you'll have to bend the wires and
trim the excess from the top. I found it easiest to take the old plastic
ones off, trying not to break any more than I needed to. Then I would hold
each new part next to the old one, and bend the wire by eye. After
installing all the new damper levers, fit each damper head (the old ones
will probably be  okay) and tweak the angle of the wire till the fit is
good, then nip the extra wire off.

Susan