beckets

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Thu, 21 Aug 2003 17:49:18

Hi Ron,

But your limits as I remember are somewhat broader than some others. If I
remember you don't consider 4 cents a significant pitch change. (over the
whole piano). As a musician I agree--and as a tuner I disagree.

Mark, I have done limited testing of tapping vs not tapping--and tapping
appears to lead to better long term stability.

At 07:15 PM 8/21/2003 -0400, you wrote:

>On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 11:16:27 -0500 Ron Nossaman <RNossaman@cox.net>
>writes:
>> Incidentally, I've tuned a lot of pianos through the years and never
>> had  one that was "unstable" because the beckets weren't tight and the
>> coils  weren't tapped. While a field process of tightening and tapping
>will
>> obviously drop the pitch considerably in a lot of cases, not doing
>> so won't  typically have a detrimental effect on tuning stability in an
>
>> existing piano.
>>
>> Ron N
>
>Ron -
>
>I couldn't agree more.  In 25 years of tuning I have never been able to
>draw a correlation between coil 'prettiness' and tuning stability.  Ohio
>weather is the big bully here, and pretty coils or not, they all, for the
>most part, exhibit the same behavior.  I would find it very difficult to
>ask my customer to bear the expense of making the coils look better with
>the promise of better tuning stability.
>
>There are bigger fires.....
>
>Mark Potter
>bases-loaded@juno.com