beckets

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Thu, 21 Aug 2003 19:10:55 -0500

>Hi Ron,
>
>But your limits as I remember are somewhat broader than some others. If I
>remember you don't consider 4 cents a significant pitch change. (over the
>whole piano). As a musician I agree--and as a tuner I disagree.
>
>Mark, I have done limited testing of tapping vs not tapping--and tapping
>appears to lead to better long term stability.

Hi Don,
That's right, 4 cents movement with a seasonal change is considered to be
well under control around here, and likely grounds for putting the tuning
off another six months. That movement is both up and down in a year's time,
not just down, and not down just one time. It's up and down every year. How
can this tapping and seating limit the rise of pitch in summer, or the
lowering in winter? There's no reason I can think of, and no evidence I've
seen (and yes, I've seated coils and such) that this will limit tuning
changes with humidity swings unless you changed the climate control
conditions at the same time. If so, it's the climate control changes that
made the difference. Why would tapping make any difference?

Ron N