beckets

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Thu, 21 Aug 2003 20:46:48 EDT

In a message dated 21/08/03 8:20:40 PM, RNossaman@cox.net writes:

<< Why would tapping make any difference?

Ron N >>

Hmmmmmm........good question <:|
addressing stability:::::::::: It would seem to me that a tight coil as
opposed to a less tight coil would offer more theoretical stability since the
chances of the coil tightening/loosening through hammer impact would be lessened.
How much?? I don't know but to some degree.
 When chipping a newly strung piano if the coils are tapped after the first
and second chipping the tuning settles down much faster....an observation made
over many years and pianos.
addressing tone::::::
 We all pay a lot of attention to good solid contacts at: hitch, front bridge
pin, back bridge pin, capo bar, agraffe...so why not make the termination at
the tuning pin as tight as we can...........theoretically a tight coil would
not absorb as much vibration as would more loose coil would it? Affect the
tone?........does a string that has plenty of bearing on the bridge but does not t
ouch the plate behind the hitch affect the tone????
thoughts.... :-0
Jim Bryant (FL)