beckets

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Thu, 21 Aug 2003 20:12:47 -0500

><< Why would tapping make any difference?
>
>Ron N >>
>
>Hmmmmmm........good question <:|

I thought that WAS the question.

>addressing stability:::::::::: It would seem to me that a tight coil as
>opposed to a less tight coil would offer more theoretical stability since the
>chances of the coil tightening/loosening through hammer impact would be
>lessened.

The coil will not, under any condition short of zero or near zero tension,
ever loosen. It can only tighten, lowering string pitch. It's a one way deal.

>How much?? I don't know but to some degree.
>  When chipping a newly strung piano if the coils are tapped after the first
>and second chipping the tuning settles down much faster....an observation
>made
>over many years and pianos.

This has nothing to do with tuning stability. This has to do with the
initial settling of new parts. I agree, this does speed the process, but
again, I've seen many a truly ugly stringing job (like the photos Terry
posted, except without the rust) where this wasn't even considered that
exhibited no more tuning instability than a thoroughly squeezed, tamped,
and settled piano with strings of similar age.

>addressing tone::::::
>  We all pay a lot of attention to good solid contacts at: hitch, front
> bridge
>pin, back bridge pin, capo bar, agraffe...so why not make the termination at
>the tuning pin as tight as we can...........theoretically a tight coil would
>not absorb as much vibration as would more loose coil would it?

String vibration that made it through all those bearing points to the point
that the tone was affected would vibrate the coil too and tighten it just
like tapping. Are you saying tapping coils improves tone? What happens when
the customer doesn't hear a difference afterward?

And that isn't tuning stability either, which is what this is about.

>Affect the
>tone?........does a string that has plenty of bearing on the bridge but
>does not t
>ouch the plate behind the hitch affect the tone????
>thoughts.... :-0
>Jim Bryant (FL)

Not to my knowledge, unless it buzzes.

Ron N