beckets

Fri, 22 Aug 2003 09:21:11 -0400

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 08:44:54 EDT JIMRPT@aol.com writes:
>  I guess I am just at a loss to understand how the question of
> whether or not  something is 'wrong'/'incorrect'/'improper' with the
coil is even
> raised IF the pitch drops dramatically after the coil is tapped...seems
ex
> post facto/a prori to me...but then what do I know? :-)

Hi Jim -

What you know has certainly not come into question from me! ;-)

For the record, though, I thought the issue at hand was NOT whether or
not the pitch drops dramatically after tapping sloppy coils (obviously it
will, in almost all cases) but whether or not this does indeed truly
translate into tuning stability for the customer who has lived with their
piano for many years and whose tuning stability history is as good as the
other pianos in my database.  OK, maybe it only takes 5 minutes to tap
the coils, say, but then a pitch raise becomes necessary that otherwise
could've been avoided.  That's cost to the customer.  I would find it
difficult, in that scenario, to convince them they would benefit directly
by having a more stable piano if they paid me to make their coils
tighter.  THAT'S where the jury is out on permanent leave for me.

Of course, they could come back in any time now with a verdict I could
not have anticipated ;-)

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com