beckets

Fri, 22 Aug 2003 15:57:17 +0200

Mark, Jim... whoevers reading....

This pitch raise issue is kind of an interesting side to the whole becket
discussion. On the one hand... if tapping coils just reveals some rather
minor variations or even a general drop in pitch of up to 4-5 cents... then I
have a hard time viewing this as any kind of a significant pitch raise
(critical concert situations excepted.. but then these kinds of pianos have
their beckets and coils tightened already.. at least if they are my
responsibility) On the other hand... if tapping coils causes radical drop in
pitch, and large variations as to the amount... I have a hard time
understanding the justification for not rectifying the situation to begin
with. Its not like this is an overly expensive proceedure. It may not be
appropriate to call this a << fix >> per se... but taken as a precautionary
measure tight coils are to my mind recommendable both from a technical
perspective and from an economic one.

RicB

--
Richard Brekne