What matters most ?

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Sat, 23 Aug 2003 09:28:15 -0500

Ric,

That's a very open-ended and broadly undefined question.  I suspect you'll
get lot's of answers to questions you didn't think you were asking.
Clarifying questions:  Are you talking about good heaviness or bad
heaviness?  (pianists need to feel a certain amount of weight in order to
have control).  What about friction?  Are you assuming "optimal" friction?
How much is that?

Not a complete answer, by any stretch of the imagination, but a couple
examples of extremes.

1.  Tuned yesterday for a customer whose kids are into
composing/arranging/recording, pretty complete stable of electronics,
including a brand new Yamaha keyboard with "weighted keys".   Extreme
example:  all the inertia is the key.  Unnatural and uncontrollable.
Heavy.  As soon as you begin to move the key, you feel all the inertia of
the system.  There is no cushioning or delay from the wippen cushion and
knuckle.  And, since there is no escapement of top-action mass, you've got
all that key mass rebounding from the front rail felt at the end of the
keystroke.  This would be the extreme of minimal top-acton inertia and
maximum key inertia.  Not good.      Interesting psycho-acoustical side
note - the unnatural feeling is intensified when playing in the
"harpsichord" voice, because you expect an instrument that sounds like that
to have a lighter touch.

2.  S&S "O" with new (10 years) hammers shanks and flanges, but original
verdigris-infested wippens kept in a marginally usable state with annual
Protek showers.   Balance weight is in the 34 to 38 gm range..  Although
the inertia is distrubuted normally among the various components, or maybe
a little unbalanced in favor of the genuine Steinway hornbeam hammers, the
wippen flange friction keeps you from feeling the hammer inertia and
knuckle compression, so it feels heavier than the balance weight would
indicate.

3.  1930's Hamilton microgrand.  Teacher - owner wants the action
"heavier", so her students will have to use proper technique.  Balance
weight is in the low-to-mid-30's, but there's very little friction, and
next to no knuckle compression because of those funky built-in knuckles,
and the hammers are very light, and therefore there's very little lead in
the keys.  AHA!!  It's not an either-in-the-keys-or-in-the-top-action
choice, because the less you have in the top action, the less you put in
the keys!!

For anyone who's made it through all this rambling thinking-out-loud,
here's my final answer:  I think there is a fairly wide range of inertia
that can be made to feel OK (i.e. appropirate heavyness), but this can be
sabotaged by friction (too much or too little), or by too-soft or too-hard
knuckles.

Just read Bill Ballard's reply.  Agree 100% with your tail-and-dog analogy.
I'd also put friction and knuckle compression on the list of things that
can cause-prevent hammer fly-away.

just my 2 cents

Mike Spalding RPT