What matters most ?

Sat, 23 Aug 2003 17:46:33 +0200

Hi guys

Some good reading and thinking you've already provided me with, I will read
through a couple times before bouncing any thoughts back.. but Mike asked a
couple questions so I thought I'd clarify a bit.

Michael Spalding wrote:

> Ric,
>
> That's a very open-ended and broadly undefined question.  I suspect you'll
> get lot's of answers to questions you didn't think you were asking.

Well Mike.. I am kind of an open-ended and broadly undefined kinda guy ... :)
Be that as it may... I was intentionally broad with this as I wanted exactly
the kind of directionally divisiveness as I could get... I'm fishing for ideas
that may help my own gel a bit better.

> Clarifying questions:  Are you talking about good heaviness or bad
> heaviness?  (pianists need to feel a certain amount of weight in order to
> have control).

Both... but as long as you mention <<good>> and <<bad>> heaviness.... would you
mind going a little more into specific detail as to what configurations
constitute the difference between the two ?

> What about friction?  Are you assuming "optimal" friction?
> How much is that?

Actually,,, and this applies just as much to the voicing issue Ed brought up...
I'd like to just concentrate on the effect of key inertia vs top action /
hammer inertia plays. So I suppose that means imposing a kind of neutral status
for both friction and the hammers hardness or softness.

Thanks so far...
RicB

--
Richard Brekne