Big Bushings/Ric

Sat, 23 Aug 2003 17:58:59 +0200

Joseph Garrett wrote:

> Ric,
> Your Quote: "I have yet to see a piano with tuning pin bushings that really
> sit tight. Some better then others for sure... but seems like sooner or
> later they will move. And one way or another... I think any wood bushing
> will end up more like the squishy/deformation type then an open faced
> pinblock"
>
> That's because you are using end-grain plate bushings incorrectly. The plate
> bushings should be cross-grain, as it was originally intended, i.e. Kimball
> type. These can be made, quite easily, out of scrap pinblock material. They
> work!<G>(as original intent-Del!)(inside joke)<G>

Perhaps so... but then I guess that means that Yamahas, Kawaiis, Young Changs,
Samicks... etc etc etc ad absurdum dont have that trick figured out. One of my
biggest beefs with plate bushings is that they just dont stay put. The only
plate bushings I ever did see that did were not made of wood, but rather some
kind of rubberish stuff... Knight uprights. Didnt really like the feel of the
tuning pins in those however... the just felt a bit gummy when turning.... hard
to get a feel for the right pin set.

Cant say as I've had much experience with Kimsballs tho... we dont see them
often over here.

Cheers
RicB