Big Bushings/Ron Nossaman

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sat, 23 Aug 2003 11:26:08 -0700

"I'd worry as much about the top of the plug as the bottom. The short fiber
top layer with no glue at it's perimeter to keep it in place would chip up
pretty badly by the time you drilled it and had a pin driven in, wouldn't
it - especially after being tenderized by driving in the plug in the first
place? I haven't tried it, so I don't really know, but I suspect...

Ron N"

Ron,
I've done a couple of these Kimball types. And yes, I made the plate
bushings out of scrap pinblock material. The specifics are: 1. lay out the
drilling pattern, so that you get maximum use of the material. 2. Drill the
"pin holes", first. 3. Do a slight countersink in each hole. 4. Center the
plug cutter over each "pre-drilled" and cut the plugs to the desired depth,
(ie the thickness of the tuning pin web on the plate). 5. Bandsaw the
bushings loose from the stock. 6. Make sure you have devised some form of
"catcher" so you aren't chasing plate bushings all over the shop!
DAMHIK![GG] 7. Repeat process until you have the proper count.
It's a bit of a pain, to do this, but the end results are absolutely worth
it!
Best Regards,

Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police