Big Bushings/Ron Nossaman

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sat, 23 Aug 2003 13:43:45 -0500

>Ron,
>I've done a couple of these Kimball types. And yes, I made the plate
>bushings out of scrap pinblock material.

Hi Joe, what kind of pinblock material?

>The specifics are: 1. lay out the
>drilling pattern, so that you get maximum use of the material. 2. Drill the
>"pin holes", first. 3. Do a slight countersink in each hole. 4. Center the
>plug cutter over each "pre-drilled" and cut the plugs to the desired depth,
>(ie the thickness of the tuning pin web on the plate). 5. Bandsaw the
>bushings loose from the stock. 6.

Ok, got it.

>Make sure you have devised some form of
>"catcher" so you aren't chasing plate bushings all over the shop!
>DAMHIK![GG]

Very familiar concern, very familiar result. There is likely an interesting
collection of aging small partially manufactured parts here and there under
large never moved things in my shop. The super sucker shop vac works pretty
well as a catcher for small parts coming off of the blade - either band or
table saw.

>7. Repeat process until you have the proper count.
>It's a bit of a pain, to do this, but the end results are absolutely worth
>it!
>Best Regards,
>
>Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

Yea, making 250 of anything you ought to be able to buy for a tenth what it
costs you to make them is always a pain. Why would drilling the hole first
make a difference in how the top layer holds together? I would think it
would depend more on the material used and the drill than the sequence.

Ron N